August 24, 2005

Tom Lee

Tom O. Lee (1963-2005)
Cancer claims sports editor

This week Mustang sports lost a dear friend, when longtime sports editor Tom Lee lost his battle with cancer. He died last Saturday at the age of 42. Tom had covered Mustang sports for many years working both at The Mustang News and then later at The Mustang Times.

Over the years, he made friends both on the field and off, which is evident in the comments of former co-workers, coaches and friends.

“He was a really friendly, nice guy and he loved his daughter, he talked about her a lot,” said sports photographer Shelly Hollingsworth. “He enjoyed his job and we talked a bunch. I still can’t believe it happened.”

Having been involved with sports in the area so long, Tom had developed a good rapport with Mustang’s coaches.

“I thought Tom was very professional and I thought he did a good job,” said Alan Green, head boys basketball coach at Mustang High School.

“I always felt very comfortable talking to him because I knew he would accurately portray what I said. He was good at getting us publicity. If I called him in the summer and talked to him about something he would always get it in. He was a super-nice guy. That’s a tragic loss.

“I knew he was battling some kind of cancer, and was impressed that he had so much energy because he was at numerous sporting events. He’ll be missed.”

Both Green and MHS Athletic Director Todd Dilbeck commented on Tom’s indomitable spirit.

“I didn’t want to ask him directly (about his illness), so I would ask him how he was doing and I think he knew what I meant,” Green said. “And, he would always say, ‘I’m doing very well.’ He never would go on and on. He certainly didn’t wallow in it.”

Dilbeck agreed, “During this whole process of his illness I’d ask him how he was doing and he’d always say ‘wonderful.’ That’s the spirit he had, that he’s going through this and nothing is wrong. That’s the inspiration he gave me.”

The fact that he always showed up for work, even when he wasn’t feeling well is what Mustang Times co-publisher Steve Kizzair said impressed him about Tom.

“He was very dedicated to Mustang sports,” said Kizzair. “He never missed a week here even when the cancer was very bad.”

Times’ co-publisher Steve Coulter worked with Tom for several years, and said he was saddened by the passing of his co-worker.

“Tom was so passionate about covering Mustang sports and totally dedicated right up to the last day,” Coulter said. “Even on Tom’s toughest weeks during chemo treatments, he insisted and made it a point to complete his sports section. He never let his horrible disease get the best of him.

“I had the privilege of working with Tom for many years at the Mustang News and when we started the Mustang Times he was on board from Day 1. Today, I’m saddened with his passing, but I celebrate his life and reflect on all the great memories. We will always be grateful for Tom Lee.”

Funeral services for Tom were held Aug. 23 at Spiritual Fellowship Church in Oklahoma City.

He is survived by his mother, Virginia, daughter, Julia, and sisters Debi Bannon and Patricia Wood.

0 comments

post a comment