September 20, 2006

Crocodile Hunter's life and death affect area woman

Carol Brimm

The life and death of Australian Crocodile Hunter and well-loved television host Steve Irwin had a profoundly personal impact on one Oklahoma City woman. Irwin died Sept. 4 when a stingray’s barb pierced his chest while he was diving on the Great Barrier Reef.

Jennifer Lance, of Oklahoma City, whose life was influenced by Irwin, wrote a tribute to him that was published in an online newspaper in Queensland, Australia. A gentleman who lives just 8 miles from the zoo read the tribute and was so impressed he contacted Lance requesting her permission to post it at the Australia Zoo.

“He printed it, placed it in a plastic cover, added flowers and tacked it up at the Zoo. This was very special. I wish that I could attend Steve’s Celebration of Life Ceremony, but I did feel some closure having this placed at the zoo,” Lance said.

Lance says she was inspired to follow her life’s passion by watching Irwin on Animal planet in the mid 1990s. She became a volunteer at the Oklahoma City Zoo and later a Junior Curator there.

“I saw him doing what he loved and saw how important it is for people to live out their dreams doing what they love to do,” Lance said.

After leaving the Oklahoma City Zoo, Lance established Critter Tales, a non-profit agency designed to promote awareness of wildlife and conservation in children ages 3 to 10 years old with interactive hands on programs.

“Steve Irwin brought us a good message – everyone can make a difference. I try to pass that message on in my programs with children,” Lance said.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes, the Associated Press reported.

“Australia Zoo and Wildlife Warriors Worldwide are today in mourning for a beloved friend and respected leader. The global response to the loss of Steve Irwin and the public outpouring of empathy we have received has been overwhelming, and a significant comfort to those of us who knew him. This is not just a loss for us, but for a planet full of people who loved him so well, and for the world’s precious wildlife that he laid his life on the line to protect,” says a tribute to Irwin on the Australia Zoo website, www.crocodilehunter.com.au.

Below is a copy of Lance’s tribute to Irwin:


Tribute to Steve Irwin

My name is Jennifer Lance. I am 34, married 16 years, and the mother of three boys ages 13, 9, and 7 years. I live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in the U.S.

Did Steve Irwin make me want to run out and jump on crocodiles or capture venomous snakes? No, but his energy traveled from within himself into his eyes, into his hands, his words, his actions, and into my heart. I think many others from young children to adult had the same reaction. He made us want to come to Australia and see the wonders and beauty of the land and wildlife. He made us care that all living things have a purpose in the Earth’s ecosystem.........we are all connected. He reminded us that one single person can make an enormous difference.

My family first saw Steve on television in the mid 1990s. His enthusiasm and passion came to us in our living room. We were half way around the world and yet it felt like we were following right behind him on his adventures. We became Australia Zoo members via mail in 1997. The Newsletter was one sheet typed black and white, then a small black and white magazine with photos, and now a beautiful full color magazine. We sent Bindi animal shirts from Oklahoma every year, and then later little Bob. My oldest son won a contest by naming the first rhino iguana born at the Australia Zoo. We watched the Zoo grow from afar. We watched Steve and Terri on Crocodile Hunter, and Croc Files. We purchased Crocodile Hunter hats and T-shirts. We wore them to the opening day of Collision Course. I flew to L.A. to try out for The Croc Hunter Challenge, which unfortunately never aired.

Steve’s passion inspired me to get up and get out and do something with my own passion. I became a volunteer at the Oklahoma City Zoo, and was hired on in the Zoo’s education department. I remained as staff at the Zoo until July 2005. In January of 2006 I founded a non-profit organization entitled Critter Tales Inc. (www.crittertalesinc.com) I take live animals and animal artifacts into schools scout groups, churches, libraries, and more for educational hands-on programming to promote awareness of wildlife and conservation.

I keep the Irwin’s and the Australia Zoo staff in my thoughts as I push forward in my own endeavors. I watched how hard all of them work to make things happen. They give me the “I can do it” mind-set. I don’t follow movie stars or famous singers. The Irwin’s were not acting -They are real people who were doing what they love, and invited the whole world to come along. We thank them for sharing their lives with us. Steve Irwin stood for something - he still does....he stands for love, and caring, for passion, for wildlife, conservation, and making dreams become a reality.

My purpose is to connect kids to nature. Steve made a difference! He made an impact on millions of people, wildlife, conservation, and little me in my living room in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I will carry on with his mission! I know that his family, friends, the Zoo staff, and countless others will do the same.

My heart hurts for Terri, the children, and the rest of the family. Their loss is tremendous. We cannot even fathom. We are praying for them!

“CRIKEY - we will miss you Stevo!”

1 comments

September 20, 2006 6:07 PM  

This is an excellent article! (I read the original in the MT newspaper)You are to be congratulated for writing such a timely, professional article!

comment posted by Anonymous Anonymous

post a comment